Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Boot Camp for the Business

If you've been following my blog the past few weeks, you may have seen that I took a 4-week Boot Camp style fitness class. It seriously kicks your butt into shape!

Well, in the midst of all that, I spent the last weekend in January getting my booty kicked in another way. I also attended a Boot Camp for my business: Liana Lehman's Photo Biz Boot Camp. Wow! Let me tell you, her intensive course is quite the eye-opener for anyone thinking of starting a small business. It is not for the faint of heart. I learned so much over the few days we had together that my head was literally spinning at the end of it. I highly recommend Liana's Boot Camp! It's really great to see where you are and where you want to be.

While attending Boot Camp, I had the pleasure of meeting seven other awesome photographers in the Bay Area and Sacramento areas. It's so awesome to meet local folks and to make new photographer friends! At the end of the grueling crash course in business, finance, accounting, marketing, branding and merchandising, we had a little photo shoot.

Photo Biz Boot Camp Photoshoot
Jennifer of the Memory Journalists. Jennifer runs her own IT firm in addition to running her photography business in the Sacramento area.

Photo Biz Boot Camp Photoshoot
Dawn of Alba Fiore. Dawn is a photographer rocking it out of the Sacramento area.

Photo Biz Boot Camp Photoshoot
Tiffany of Adeline and Grace Photography. Tiffany was our awesome hostess who made sure we remembered to eat! She has a lovely studio in Benicia where she meets with clients and shoots her intimates.

Photo Biz Boot Camp Photoshoot
Terra of Terra Tabbytosavit Photography. Terra is a photographer from the peninsula, finding out that she can do what she loves for a living!

Photo Biz Boot Camp Photoshoot
Susanna Frohman is just getting into the business after some fantastic adventures as a photojournalist.

Photo Biz Boot Camp Photoshoot
Dia of Dia Rao Photography. Dia is based in San Francisco, but also does destination weddings in Santa Barbara and beyond.

Photo Biz Boot Camp Photoshoot
Our fearless leader and awesome instructor, Liana Lehman. I hope you have a fabulous wedding and honeymoon!

Photo Biz Boot Camp Photoshoot
Laura of Laura Meyer Photography. Laura flew all the way from Chicago to spend a few days with us! If you're in the Chicago area and looking for a photographer, definitely look her up!

Photo Biz Boot Camp Photoshoot
And here's one of me that I totally fell in love with. I'm not 100% sure who took this, so ladies, if this is yours, please do claim it! Love the flare!

It was a tiring couple of days - no doubt - but totally worth the time and effort. I feel like I can apply some of the principles I learned to other parts of my life too! If there's one thing that I learned that's important, it's to make goals and put them somewhere where you can review them, OFTEN. Writing goals and never doing anything about them is just a theoretical to-do list. Making a to-do list with deadlines and reasons are goals...

Make your goals and chase 'em!

If you're interested in kicking your business into shape or getting great guidance before starting your business, definitely check out Liana Lehman's workshop here: www.bananasedu.com.

3 comments:

Lydia said...

I so wish I had been able to go! *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Love the post....super excited about WPPI in a few days!

Daniel Galang Photography said...

right on! sounds like boot camp was caarrazy - I need to get on the bus on that one, running the business. Great shots by the way, you just keep getting better!