Tuesday, August 12, 2008

As I sit here...

I'm sitting in the lobby of the Marriott in Downtown San Francisco, and I can't help but think about everything that is outside this building. Not just the surroundings, but the potential -- my potential -- outside this bubble of a safe and "secure" corporate job. (What corporate job is ever secure?) I'm here for work, helping with the presentations for our National Sales Meeting. I can definitely say that I'm comfortable being here in my current job capacity; however, I do crave and yearn for something more.

I remember how hard I worked through high school. I finished second in my class, 0.18 points from being the Valedictorian. I was driven and determined to succeed. That was the path that my parents put me on, without all the pressure. I desired success and I drove it to the finish line.

When I got to college, it was a whole different ball game. Classes were huge, and I became a guppy in the shark tank. Scared. Intimidated. I desired "safety". I floated through college with a major that I was interested in, but I lacked that drive and determination I was so familiar with in high school. Nevertheless, I did well in my classes, but I stayed in my comfort zone.

From the beginning there was one thing I was bound and determined to do since high school: study abroad. My junior year of college, I packed up two huge suitcases, kissed and hugged my family goodbye for now, and embarked on the greatest journey of my college career. I moved to Lyon, France for a full year. I met some of my best friends, learned so much independence, and eliminated any fear I held about travel. I also embraced my deep love for photography. At the time I only had a 2nd or 3rd generation Sony point-and-shoot digital camera, but I loved it. I captured so much of my trip and came back with a couple gigs of images. Friends, landscape, travel, good times. That year changed my life.

I've found that taking the uncertain path can have some of the biggest payoff. I knew none of the people who traveled abroad that year; I was the only one representing my university. And yet, these folks are my closest friends that I have today. Our bond from a shared experience and shared moments is unlike any other I can imagine.

And now, I yearn to take another uncertain path and pursue my love of capturing happy, once in a lifetime moments. After last night, I'm ready. I'm ready to take some action and not just think about doing it. This is something that I'm incredibly excited about -- and for anyone who knows me -- I'm not the most easily excited. That's how I know that this is different. I feel so alive. I'm not about to extinguish that feeling.

3 comments:

.Alli.son. said...

It's wonderful to read what an impact the seminar had on you!! Go for it Catie, and best to you as your shoot for the stars :) Bon chance!

Julie Ann said...

Hi Catie,
I'm in the same boat as you (starting to get into photography) and it's nice to read blogs from other people who are learning and striving to take pictures. I hope you don't mind if I peek on your blog every now and then! :)

Anonymous said...

You definitely have a great voice on your blog, keep it up and best of luck in the photography!